Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembrance, Healing and Praise.


My Friends,

Today is seven years since the September 11th attacks. This is a day of continued remembrance for the people we lost. It is a day of continued healing for ourselves and a day of continued praise for our men and women who put on a uniform and run towards danger day in and day out.

Seven years ago, our lives were very different. At 8:46 a.m. on September 11, 2001 our lives changed forever. Now, we sometimes grow agitated over those changes. Perhaps, for example, you have been forced to put up with time-consuming security demands at an airport, sporting event or concert. But I ask you to ask yourself, how has your life really changed since September 11, 2001? Perhaps you fly an American flag now everyday to show your pride in your country. Perhaps you talk with your family more frequently than ever before because you know that time is precious, or perhaps you thank a Police Officer, Firefighter, EMS worker or soldier when you see them.

When I think of September 11th I think of the song "Hands" by Jewel. There is one part which says:

"I will not be made useless
I won't be idled with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
for light does the darkness most fear
My hands are small, I know...
but they're not yours they are my own
and I am never broken" .

We live in a small town, yes, we have small hands, but those are the hands that will keep the memories of the innocent victims strong. Those are the hands that will keep our country's patriotism alive, and those are the hand which will rebuild those towers. So, I ask you, what will you do with your hands on this seventh anniversary? Post your answer here or call in to the "Harrison Live" radio show at
(914) 636-1460 today between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. where I will be a guest.

May God Bless America.

1 comment:

saidandsung said...

Thanks for your continued mindfulness, Joe. You are a shining example of the kind of great citizens that Harrison houses.

For myself, each year I try to keep this anniversary solemn, by marking it with quiet reflection on that day and where I was at the time (in the Bronx, on my way to work in Midtown) and thinking of the people I knew who lost loved ones and what it was like to be glued to the TV for days and how quiet the subway was that first week after -- it had a reverence about it, and no one started fights or spoke at raised voices. We were all so affected, and continue to be to this day, by the tragedy of that day. I make it a point not to schedule social plans on September 11, unless it's to sit with a group of friends in remembrance, either through conversation or through music-making. I also try to call friends and family members whom I haven't talked with in a while, just because this day reminds us that life is so precious.

I watched the reading of the names this morning, as I'm sure so many did, and it hit me even harder this time because there were photos that accompanied each name displayed on the bottom of the screen. Seeing the victims, many of them photographed with a smile, made it even more visceral -- that these were people who loved and were loved, and whose lives were cut terribly short. That same feeling washes over me when I see the victims' family members holding up their loved ones' photos in tribute. It affects me deeply every time.

It was also beautiful to watch the memorial dedicated at the Pentagon. What a fitting tribute.

Be well, and thanks again for making a point to recognize this important anniversary.