Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Remembering

On Tuesday, I was asked to attend a barbecue in West Harrison for veterans from the VA Hospital in Montrose. The event was hosted by the Lion's Club and has been held every year since 1950. I have to tell you, never have I been so moved by these kind, gracious and appreciative gentlemen. These veterans have been living at the VA Hospital since they returned home from the war they were in. Most of the men I spoke with were in Vietnam. I sat and listened as they talked to me about their families, friends, growing up and the war. It was incredibly touching to hear their stories of sacrifice, courage and strength. Think about this; these men have given their lives even though they survived. Many of them of been in the hospital since it opened in 1947! This weekend, as we spend time with our families, and BBQ and go to the pool and beach let's not forget our men and women in the service both alive and the ones who passed. They are the reasons why we can call ourselves the land of the free and in return they don't ask for much. These gentlemen I met were so gracious just to chat and receive a hot dog at the barbecue. Hats off to the Lion's Club for doing this. God Bless America.

No comments: