Thursday, May 1, 2008

It's May!

Well, it's May. Happy May everyone. As we enter a new month, I am rolling (no pun intended) right along with lots of exciting things happening around the office. First, I want to thank all of you who participated in any of my "Donate Life" events during the month of April. Whether you listened to me speak about this life saving cause, gave blood or even became a donor I want you to know that I would not have been able to provide this advocacy campaign for the Town without the supportive residents such as yourself. Just because "Donate Life Month" is over doesn't mean we are done. You can still come by the office or visit my main site at www.HarrisonClerk.com for info on how to become a donor.
Secondly, I want to address a question I got this evening from a resident. He is a subscriber to my email list and loves getting the agendas delivered to his inbox on the day of the Town Board meetings. However, his question was "Joe, why do you send out the agendas so late on the day of the Town Board meeting?". I send out the agendas between 4pm and 5pm on the night of the meeting because many times the agenda is not final until that time. A "Draft" version of the agenda is prepared by my office the Friday before each meeting and sent to the Town Board. However, many times "Late Items" are brought to my office and added to the agenda between that Friday and the day of the meeting. On the day of the meeting I meet with the Mayor and review the items for that night to ensure all Board members have proper documentation and to set a "Final" agenda. During this review meeting, items can still be added or withdrawn. Once that meeting has taken place, the "Final" draft is prepared and I send it out on my email list and post it to the site. I want to be sure you have the most up to date agenda so it is easier for you to follow along at home.
Lastly, by reading my previous posts you know I began my week in Saratoga at a coference with the New York State Clerks. After three days of meeting with my counterparts from all over NY I am back in town with new ideas for the office. During my visit I met with members of the Department of State, Department of Health, Department of Enironmental Conservation, Committee on Open Government, veteran Clerks as well as new Clerks. I went in with one question "how can this help Harrison?" I will be sharing the answer to that question as time goes on but for now, just know I am happy to be back and can't wait to get started.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Hi Joe, Your doing a great Job!!!